18 August 2008

seven years, no itching

seven years ago today i married dave.
i had a ton of pictures scanned and ready for this post,
and then we came to my parents house for a few days and i don't have them,
so you'll just get to see a few that i scanned here at their house.

the things i loved and wouldn't change:

  • my bouquet
  • my cake (the only thing that cost more than this beauty was my dress!)
  • the individual martinelli apple juice's in glass bottles with bendy straws (picture to come when i get home!)
  • my dress
  • the guy

things i would change:

  • i wish i had hired a real, professional photographer
  • if i were doing it now, i would choose different bridesmaid dresses, but at the time, i LOVED these, so i guess that's what counts.
    (left to right: back row, joe russell, dave's brothers doug and greg,
    front row my sister ellen, my friends jen and jessica).

    my mom made the skirts (i think? now i can't remember) and the shirts are from banana republic. i had seen them earlier in the summer and loved them, and when i chose them to go with the skirts, of course the shirts were gone. i looked online, i talked to everybody i could, and they said they didn't know if they would get anymore. then a few weeks before the wedding, i walk in banana and there they were! i was so excited! i think my bridesmaids were less excited since they were like $68 or something, but at least they are definitely something they could wear again. i actually liked them so much i bought one for myself.
  • i wish i had had my hair done instead of doing it myself. it looked fine, and i loved the color that kelly did a few days before the wedding, i just wish i hadn't done it myself.
  • i wish we had done toasts of some sort so joe russell had a real purpose for coming all the way out to our wedding!
  • i wish i had worn pearls, they would've looked fantastic with that dress.

the night before the wedding we had a bbq at my house. i was feeling really weird the whole night, mostly wanting to be alone, so it was a relief when dave and i got to go pick up his brother doug and bring him to my house, just because i got to be away from all the hubbub for a few minutes. later that night the guys went to an indian casino to do a little gambling (classy, i know) and me and my sisters and best friend went to double rainbow to get dessert. my sister-in-law holly took her video camera, and at the time i wasn't super excited about it, but i am so glad to have that video now, it's one of my favorite parts of my whole wedding video (so thanks, holly!). i wish i knew how to get it from a tape and put it on the blog, because i gave the camera a MURDEROUS look when holly walked in with it. but i am so glad to have it, because i don't have any pictures of that night and it was so fun.

that night i was supposed to sleep in my old room with my best friend but i was seriously freaking out and just wanted to be alone, so i slept on the couch in my dad's office. then that morning, i woke up totally calm. i showered, did my hair and make-up, and got dressed. i was ready to go way before it was time, and we actually ended up being late because my mom was slower than me...that's got to be a first for a bride.

we drove up to the temple and dave was standing outside with his dad, and i could see the relief on his face when i got out of the car. i think he was thinking i wasn't going to show up. in fairness, i had been really nervous the night before and i probably freaked him out a little. we met with our sealer for a few minutes (robert pixton, he was the stake president who replaced my dad), did a short veil ceremony, and got to sit by each other in the celestial room while we waited for everyone to get there. it was a really nice, calm morning. then we walked into the sealing room and the skirt of my dress was so big that when we sat down it knocked the chair into the wall and made a huge crashing sound. so embarrassing. the sealing was great, and i cried the whole time.

we had a luncheon at gardunos, my favorite new mexico restaurant, courtesy of my new in-laws and our reception was in my sister alice's backyard. it was beautiful and casual and fun (me and the bridesmaids went barefoot!). i really think the reception was beautiful. we used lots and lots of tulle and it was so pretty, i think--pictures to come when i get home!) and the food and cake were deLISH. i didn't want to throw my bouquet because i thought it was too pretty, so my bridesmaid jen let me throw hers and my cute cousin diane caught it (not the best picture, i know, but i have a better one scanned at home...ugh).

i got really lucky when dave chose me. thanks for seven great years, dude.

24 comments:

Maude Beckman said...

happy wedding anniversary!!!

Shannon said...

how fun to look back! your pictures are great and you both look great too!

glad to hear there is no itching!

barterboutique said...

happy anniversary! what are you doing to celebrate?

Dr. Mark said...

Happy anniversary! Thanks for recapping that special day.

Em said...

Happy 7th- with wishes of many more happy ones to come. Your wedding day looks & sounds divine.

{Glad to hear your wouldn't change the guy!}

J Fo said...

That was so cute! I totally have things that I would change from mine,too, (2 years of working at a bridal shop will do that to you).

It was kind of weird to see Greg standing behind another girl in that picture. And it's funny that she's a Jessica, too. I'll consider her my surrogate since I coudn't be there. ;)

Andrea J said...

I hadn't seen most of those pics, thanks for the post. Happy Anniversary! The world seems a better place when you know your friend's marriages are solid :)

Val said...

I am crying reading this! What a beautiful post and pictures. I really regret not being able to go to your wedding. Jon and I were in Disneyland that week taking a late honeymoon. You are so beautiful!

Diane Owen said...

Happy Anniversary! That was a fun day. I remember waiting for you at the temple and eating at fabulous Gardunos and of course catching the bouquet. I kept it for a long time! It actually started a streak, I caught something like 6 bouquets that year, I had a whole display in my room at BYU. It was a great way to spend my birthday helping you celebrate your wedding!

Peg said...

I was sad I didn't get to be there too! It would have been a great birthday for me too! Isn't it interesting that you and Marion share the same birthday and you and I birthday and wedding day? You and Dave are gorgeous!

April said...

I love it! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! Stories and pictures like this bring me to tears! So, I would love to see all the other pictures of your special day! Happy 7th Wedding Anniversary!!! Go Emily and Dave!

Lindsay said...

Happy Anniversary! So exciting. Why is Dave flippin the camera off in the first picture?? :)

Jenn said...

Congrats! Happy anniversary!

Jack Attack said...

happy anniversary! cute cake. you've got a good memory about your day. mine was a blur but I don't remember being nervous at all. I was so ready. And I loved my food and photos (2 things I refused to go cheap on).

Kina and Nathan said...

Em! It's awesome to get to see some of your wedding!!! You made a beautiful bride (even if you did your own hair and makeup ;)) btw, I loved your review of Breaking Dawn. I'm a huge fan of all SM books and I really liked the last one and was very glad that it had a happy ending, even for Jacob, who is my fav character!

Kina and Nathan said...

is that the ABQ Temple??

Emily said...

Thanks everyone! We went to my favorite Chinese restaurant in Draper (with free baby-sitting from my parents!) for dinner and then browsed around Barnes and Noble for a while. It was great.

KINA! I cannot believe you found me. Yes, that is the Albuquerque temple. My husband is from the Bay Area and I sort of wish we had gotten married in the Oakland temple (but I didn't know how pretty it was there until after we were married, sadly). But the ABQ temple is awesome, so I'm glad we got married there anyway.

Lindsay, yes and no. Dave hates jewelry, so he was freaking out about his wedding ring, so in that picture, he's just using his other finger to move the ring around and get it comfortable. It just looks bad for the picture... I actually blogged about that picture last year.

Jenny said...

Yay! I loved that day! Your wedding was great. And you both looked so awesome. I have to agree with Jessica though- it's weird seeing some girl standing in front of Doug. Man, just when I thought I was totally confident and secure! hehe You're an awesome sister-in-law and I think Dave made an excellent choice :)

PS.Our dresses were similar and I wore pearls...sorry

Dana said...

Pretty pictures! My wedding was only 7 months ago, but looking back I would change so many things! Oh well- I guess I got the best thing out of it- I'm married to a wonderful man. I guess that matters more than having prettier colors, the other dress that I had been pining for, a nicer reception hall, etc. =)

Jessica said...

I loved your wedding and was so glad I could be there. I loved the dresses and I wore that shirt after the wedding to death! Maybe I wore it so much since it was so dang expensive? And I don't even remember standing in front of Dave's brother in those pictures. How funny.

Emily said...

darn it jenny, why didn't you tell me?! heh heh heh...you had the same dress as my sister ellen, and i can't remember what she wore...probably no necklace at all.

dana, i'd love to see your wedding pictures sometime, i bet it was beautiful!

i was glad you were there too jess. it was so nice to have a friend!

Holly or James said...

I loved your dress too. So cinderella! Plus your bouquet was gorgeous!

Thanks for the shout out with the whole video tapin' stuff. I totally forgot about that night out before the wedding. How fun.

Emily said...

thanks holly! i was going for cinderella. i had never been a fan of tulle before, but when i put that dress on (my sister sara was with me) i just KNEW it was the one. so flattering on me, it was perfect! the alterations were sort of expensive though, we had to buy a size bigger and alter it down so it would fit just right, plus to shorten the skirt they had to unhook it from the TOP and bring it up a few inches because the bottom has ribbon. my favorite part of preparing for the wedding was driving up to seven oaks in salt lake for fittings. so many compliments!

Boquinha said...

Fun post and great pictures--such a cute couple!