stupid, dumb, shut up, pee, butt...
lots of others. The consequence was either getting our mouths washed out with soap or pepper on our tongues and
we learned very quickly not to say the unsayables
(in front of our parents at least). There's a classic story in our family about one of my siblings saying the word "pee" and another one of the us running to tell mom (we were real tattlers, I tell ya) and whoever said the unsayable running out saying
"I meant the letter 'P'! I meant the letter 'P'!"
We still say that to each other.
I remember my sister Alice coming home from college and saying the word "butt" in front of my parents and I was totally scandalized. That's still a word I would never say in front of them. And to be honest, I don't like it much myself.
I generally say "bum."
I never understood what the big deal was about those words. Now that I'm a mom, I detest them when they come out of Isaac's mouth. The other day we were driving and some middle school kids ran out in front of our car. I go "Those stupid kids!" Now Isaac says "stupid" all the time and it's killing me that I was the one who taught it to him. We've talked about how we don't say those words and he listens very carefully and is always sure to remind me that I shouldn't say that word.
Apparently it's a common part of my vocabulary.
One of the stepsisters calls Cinerella "stupid" and he always tells the TV "We don't say that word!" when we watch that. This is where parenting gets tricky:
practicing what you preach.
I've really got to learn to watch what I say around this kid. He's paying attention.




16 comments:
Well, I guess I will be out of bounds with my current vocabulary. I'm rehearsing for a play I'm in, "Urinetown, The Musical" and as you might expect the "P" is used often in it. In fact one of the songs is titled "Priveledge to "P" See, I didn't spell out the word either.
I have been thinking the same things lately. Claire picked up "stupid" from Cinderella, too. One day she came home from preschool and said, "I hate this!" We have to constantly remind her not to say those naughty words, but when one slips out of our mouths,she's so quick to let us know we said something naughty! Silly kids.
I am the same way. It's usually parker telling me not to say stupid. it sounds so much worse coming from their mouths doesn't it? I noticed at Christmas that Charlie Brown and his friends say stupid a lot too.
It is so hard to be as careful as you need to with kids. I never realized how carefully Beth pays attention to me until recently when she started repeating just about EVERYTHING I say. I'm with you, parenting is tricky!!! I get caught of guard with the things she picks up from me.
So true, so true.
It doesn't end as they get older, by the way. My teenagers LOVE to point out any inconsistencies in our teachings versus our real life actions. drives me nuts. I'm always having to say "I'm not perfect. That's why we have repentence" etc etc.
By the way, I despise the word "bum". LOL I think maybe that is from living OUTSIDE of Utah. :-)
That was me, Debbie, not Austin. I didn't realize he was signed in on my computer. Sorry.
What about the words "fart" and "crap"? These were HUGE no-nos at our house but I say them all the time now. My mom will still tell me, "That word is vulgar." I'm so... bad!
oh, crap is huge. my mom HATES that word but i say it. i've never said the "f" word. i HATE that word.
I'm with all of you. Luke said butt for the first time on Friday and I about killed him. At least I know he didn't learn that one from me, but he's learned plenty of others. ugh
by the way debbie, i say "tush" a lot too, how do you feel about tush?
I agree...
I have to watch what I say in front of Cameron all the time now. He is picking up new words everyday! Oh man!--Thanks for the reminder. :-)
Tush is WAY better than bum. I hate bum!! LOL Not that I like butt. I agree that it sounds awful coming out of a kid. But "bum"...argh!
I very much dislike that "f" word that was mentioned...luckily my boys don't use that much and never thought of it as a funny word. whew.
Hmm, I'm a BUM user, sorry. I also prefer boof to the f word. I have lived in Utah for the past 10 yrs; and so have you. Isn't that weird?
Look at me, I said the "f" word on your blog! I must be really tired because this is so funny to me... LOL!
sooo weird. never thought i'd be a utahn.
it's funny to me too lynette, but i think i'm also tired.
OMG that is so funny! Not that Issac says stupid...but the Cinderella thing? Priceless!
Post a Comment