Okay, maybe you can. But you shouldn't. And I have to. I first met Kelly my freshman year at BYU. He had previously cut two of my sisters hair during their duration at school, and when I mentioned I was looking for someone, they both suggested Kelly. I called but he wasn't accepting new clients...until I mentioned my sisters, then he gladly took me in. I had to wait over 2 months for his next available appointment, and the haircut alone was $40 (in 1998). I wasn't brave enough to try color until the next year. I can honestly tell you my hair never looked better than it did in the 5 or 6 years I went to Kelly. I followed him to 3 different salons, the last one in Sugar House (and I still lived in Provo!). When I started doing color I was paying $100 per haircut...then I started buying products he suggested (all of them) and was paying upwards of $150 per haircut. But
man was I cute. I finally had to stop going when I lost my job in 2003. I saw him once at the pool (he lives in my parents neighborhood with his partner) and was so embarrassed at the state of my hair. I'm not trying to insult anybody who does hair, but I'm telling you, this guy is the best. The absolute best. I can't figure out why he's not famous yet. He has a client that flies him to San Francisco to do his and his wife's hair. Several times a year. He's fun to talk to, he always has fun hair himself...like I'd go once and it was purple, once it was bleach blond, then brown with highlights....oh I miss Kelly. The best part is he always knew what to do. He'd ask what I wanted and I'd say "something cute" and he would go to town! And my hair would look amazing! He would tell me I had really great hair and he loved doing it...maybe he said that to everybody, but I loved hearing it. For the past year or two I've gone to a girl in my brother's neighborhood who works out of her house. She's cheap (cut and color for only $50), fast, and she's pretty good. The problem is it's in her house, and her kids are there, and she's talking on the phone, and helping her kids get lunch, and it's the furthest thing from relaxing possible. I like going to a salon and feeling pampered for a few hours...the head massage, the drinks, the good magazines, the fun conversations. Mostly I miss my hair looking like it used to. Part of the problem, I'm sure, is that I now have lots of gray hair and it's impossible to make it like it used to be when it's frizzy and wirey. But I have decided that when I do eventually cut my hair short again, I will be going to Kelly one last time. He's the best with short hair and I miss him like crazy.


Below are some pictures of my better hair days...


the first two are from Homecoming at BYU 1998, the first day Kelly ever cut my hair...then my sister's wedding in 2000 and for some reason a picture in my bedroom Junior year. MUCH better hair.
14 comments:
you do have really great hair - and you are so photogenic! I miss Kelly too. I found a place here that does a pretty good job and cut & color is only $75. It's about 40 minutes away though. I've only been twice in like 10 months. Is Kelly still in Draper?
This reminds me, I need a haircut!
These are really cute pics... was your hair short when we first met? I wanna say it was...
i honestly don't remember, lynette. it was just about to my shoulders when i got married which was when i first started going to your ward, so probably longer than in these pics.
sara, i don't know if kelly is still there, i haven't seen him for a while. and i'm NOT photogenic, just used to be much cuter in my college days.
your hair is very cute in all of these pictures! i wonder if i took that picture of you in our bedroom? weird. BTW...how did we ever fit our clothes into that one tiny closet?!?
Come see my new hair cutter, $10!!!! I wanted to blog about that but since I don't have one I'll have to just mention it here. I too miss Kelly. I've been searching for a new sylist for 7 YEARS. I finally went to a friend of mine and got the CUTEST cut for only 10 bucks. (I know you already know, I'm sharing this with your peeps)
P.S. It's very hard to describe kelly's greatnesss to people who haven't been to him huh
I remember how you fit it in your closet. You had tons of rubbermaid containers underneath your bed. Y'all had to be organized, because you were working at Ross. Thanks for the punk hair pics - I've wanted to show them to Spencer, but didn't have a copy. I also remember bitting Kelly's nose that night. Ahh, good times.
I went to some lady in Beaverton when we lived in Tualatin and she cut out of her home too. But she charged like $130!!! for a cut and hi-light! I was like, WHAT!??!? Needless to say I didn't tip her. She was all doing the dishes and doing other stuff while my hair was sitting so I figured, "I don't get tipped for teaching piano, why should SHE get a tip?" SHe did okay, but DEFINITELY not worth $130!!
Wishing I knew of Kelly when I was at the Y. (I went to Von Curtis...if that's what the cosmetology school was called and boy did I have the worst hair of my life during college). I only get cuts and $40 is way worth a great stylist.
It took me like 10 years but I finally found someone who can cut curly hair! She has a shop at her house but it's in her basment and the kids are trained NOT to come downstairs on hair day. A cut and two different color highlights are about $75 total. So worth it because, hey it's your hair and it needs to look good! This lady is super busy and only works 2 days a week and it took forever to get the first appointment!
i think you must have taken it jess, i can't figure out why i have it. that room was a VERY tight fit. good times. and yes, it's impossible to tell people about the greatness of kelly. there's no one better. if i had known you em, i would've gotten you in for sure! people teased me like crazy for paying that much.
andrea, that "homecoming" was the weirdest night EVER! kelly (different guy than the haircutter) and brian forgot to buy tickets so we went to a haunted house? all dressed up? weird.
all i remember is you girls going to Kelly over and over again and scheduling appointments 6 months in advance.
i like the job my wife does for me
-gym
I remember all those appointments you made and all the money you spent. Meanwhile, I had the ugly hair from the Von Curtis Academy for $5. I especially love your hair in Ellen's wedding pic. Hot mama!
yeah that's the year i met dave. he says i had blonde hair when i met him, but i see brown with blonde highlights. what do you think? i especially like how tight all my clothes were back then...yikes.
Post a Comment