when i was pregnant with noah i bought this navy blue polka dot skirt from j.crew. i was so excited to wear it after he was born, but he was born in september and the only shoes i could think to wear it with were my white espadrilles...so it became my summer polka dot skirt. the other problem is the dots are off-white, not white. so what shirt do i wear? i always wore a white twinset but hated the non-match, and in the summer, ugh. too hot. i want to wear it in the winter so that i'm not boiling in my twinset in july. so i finally got closer to completing the outfit this week (nearly 2 years later) by getting a super soft cable cardigan from j.crew in off-white and a shade shirt to go underneath (also off-white). but the shoes. oh the shoes. i have looked everywhere for cute navy heels so i could wear this in the winter and finally found some at nordstrom for $200...but as referenced in this post, i cannot wear high heels anymore (and that's way out of my price range for a one-outfit shoe). so now i'm on the lookout for cute navy ballet flats. does anybody carry plain blue ballet flats fairly reasonably priced? NO THEY DON'T. so the outfit remains incomplete. does anybody else have this problem?
on a brighter note, here are a few recent finds. this dress? hideous. but if i was pregnant i would buy it and wear it every day of the summer with flip flops and a shade shirt underneath. sooo comfortable (i tried it on yesterday at old navy). it's not a maternity dress, by the way, just super light soft cotton and extra roomy.







18 comments:
I LOVED wearing your pink shirt with my gray pants. I even wore your shirt to one of my interviews for my internship at BYU--must have been good luck. But now I have my gray pants and rarely wear them because I don't have a pink shirt. Can I have yours?
Emily, you are SO funny. I love that you post a mix of good and frustrating, happy and aggravating. You are so much more REAL that way than people who are all "sunshine" and I have a lot of respect for that. Good luck getting shoes.
that dress is hideous, but comfy. btw you have TONS of cute clothes. If you don't want them give em to me!
I'm the same way. As a matter of fact I already have some orange capri pants - that I NEVER wear - want them? My closet if full of stuff I "HAD to have" and then once it's worn a few times, I'm sick of it. I wonder how I could change that? What kind of things would I love to wear again and again? Do you ever watch "What not to wear" on TLC? It's my favorite show and I want to go on it sosososo bad - I am dying to know what Stacey and Clinton would tell me to buy. But I always wonder if those people go home and say, "well I just spent $5000 on clothes that I probably won't wear that often."
I say get a pair of shoes (to go with the navy polka dot skirt and off white top) that is a vibrant, bold color. Red or Yellow maybe? Something not matchy-matchy would be cool.
GREAT idea em. hadn't ever even thought of that. but i like the yellow idea because then i could wear my yellow headband that dave got me with it (couldn't i?).
YES sara, i do want them. send 'em on over. and i want to be on that show too! i'll recommend you if you'll recommend me!
ellen, i can't give you my clothes, then i would have nothing to wear.
stacy, thank you.
jess, no you cannot. i love it too much.
love jcrew. you really can't go wrong when you purchase clothes from there. just got some cute ribbon headbands from jcrew the other day. simply adorable.
Do you ever look at Boden's stuff? It's similar to JCrew- I think you'd like it. Recently I reorganized my closet into color groups. It kind of revived my outlook on my clothes - new combinations became more obvious.
I totally agree. Whenever I buy something new I get so excited and then after I wear it twice, it's dull and boring. Then, I go buy something new and the whole cycle starts over!
Red shoes with the navy skirt outfit. Red is, after all, a neutral nowadays!
Oh, I can so relate! I have a skirt problem. I buy skirts and don't get the tops...so I never wear the cute skirts. It's bad.
I'm also an impulse shopper and buy things that I think I just have to have. But then they aren't as cute or I only wear them once. I drive myself crazy. But yet I can't bring myself to get rid of any of them.
Emily, You are so funny. I almost never buy any clothes for the fear that I'll hate it just after a few months. Also, I will not buy a size bigger than I want, so if I find a fabulous shirt, but I have to buy a size bigger because of the fit, I'll pass. Everyone has there weirdness!
alright - a solution to the problem you and i will engage in a "clothing swap" program - i love your taste (JCREW is the best!) and if we are the same size, it could benefit us both - what do you say?
PS - I too LOOVE that JCREW shirt and really must have it. The orange capris are awesome, too - I have them in the sailor pant style.
You make me laugh so hard! I just bought 6 shirts at Mervyn's for $14 total! Couldn't be happier and they look like any old shirt you could find at J. Crew or wherever!
val, i'm sorry, but i seriously doubt it. i'm sure they're cute, but nothing is as cute as j.crew. in my humble opinion!!
natalie, great idea, except there's NO WAY we're the same size.
whatever, girl - send me an email with your size and we'll see - I bet we're the same!
Hey Emily, I don't know if they have your size left (or if you'll even like them) but old navy has some navy blue flats on clearance. Check them out...
http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?cid=26255&pid=522929&actFltr=true
Post a Comment