05 November 2018

Football 2018


Dave's football season is over for this year. It was a tough year for the Patriots, but they ended on a high note, winning their last game in overtime 20-14. Going 2-8 is never fun but they won their Homecoming game and their last game, so hopefully that makes up for some of it. They hired a new head coach this year but 23 of their players graduated last year so they knew it would be a rebuilding kind of season.

They have a lot to work on and they really really need more depth, they just don't get enough kids out there playing, so they probably should move down a classification as well. I went to more games than ever before this year and I loved going with the kids and even by myself a few times. Just before the Homecoming game Coach Roanhaus made Dave the defensive coordinator. They had been using one quarterback and decided to put in a different one for that game, and he's a freshman, so the coach needed to be able to talk to him during defense, so Dave was on tap. They won that game against Gallup High and Coach even mentioned Dave in the paper the next day, that was so exciting to me! They got 50 pointed several times this year (the game ends early if they're beating you by 50 points) but once Dave was the defensive coordinator they didn't get 50 pointed again. I like to say it was all his efforts. Ha!



I went to the Homecoming game with Finn and we had the best time. He was so funny and cute! I took him with Isaac and Jonas to an earlier game and he was a nightmare, he kept crying and falling down and saying it was too loud, so I wasn't excited to take him again, but one-on-one was much better. We both loved it.
He also coached the home JV games. I wish I had known more about those JV games, they're super chill and easy to get to and I should've taken the kids to those ones instead. They're during the day on Saturdays and not so cold or busy. Next year I'll do that! Dave is up in the booth talking on headsets for Varsity games so it was fun to see him on the sidelines at the one JV game I made it to. It's a stressful second full-time job for him but he also loves it and I love to watch him coach.




I should really have had Dave write this post but you get the Mom/Wife perspective instead. If you have any football-related questions, ask Dave.


1 comment:

Jimmy said...

Emily! It's been so long since you've blogged! Nice to see you back at it. Glad Dave enjoys coaching. I've never done it at the high school level, but last year for the first time I got paid to coach Isabella's middle school track team. It was fun and frustrating and I learned what I can do better next time. The biggest take away I had from the experience was realizing how many youth have adults in their lives that are failing them! And once I realized that, it made it harder for me to get mad at them. Still, I'm really hoping the 8th grade boys will be a little easier to deal with this year.