23 July 2012

happenings

something big happened this weekend:

we moved. it's been in the works for a few weeks but i wasn't terribly excited about it so i didn't post anything. and i was right to not be excited--moving is awful! why is it so awful? we moved about a mile away and had so many people help us out. we had 11 men (well, 4 boys and 7 men) help move our entire apartment and storage unit into our new house, not to mention my friend ashley who watched my kids and cooked us dinner and my friend /new landlord/new neighbor mikelle who brought cookies and cheerfulness that i really needed. i am so grateful for my friends here--and their strong husbands.

and now we're here.

our sweet new double-wide is the first home our family has lived in that doesn't share a wall or a ceiling or a floor with somebody else, and it's a very weird and lonely feeling. i'll be sure to keep the doors locked while dave is off galavanting with the boy scouts at a week-long scout camp this week while i unpack our mounds of crap.


the best part of the entire week was this sight right here:


a gift from my parents that makes me smile every time i see or hear them. they are a beautiful sight, friends.

and now i'm listening to the dishwasher run, 
the washing machine spin, 
and the dryer tumble 
while i sit with my feet up 
and know that life is good. 
even in a double-wide.

19 comments:

ashley said...

I love this post so much, what a good ending. Enjoy all those machines! Can't wait to see your new place.

Rachel said...

!!!!!!! What a luxury (in all seriousness) to be able to wash your own clothes in your own home! Enjoy your new home, I'm happy for you.

Peg said...

Yippie!! SWEET!! So happy for more room and a dishwasher!! Can't wait to see more details of your new home!

Boquinha said...

SO happy for you! We *loved* our double wide in AZ - served us well for over 4 years. We brought home our babies there, got our graduate degrees there, and saved a lot of money. I hope it's wonderful for you. It looks so nice! What a sucky time for Dave to go away, though.

And your parents are awesome -- what a perfect housewarming gift!

mom said...

So excited for you think of the money you are saving by not having to run to the laundramat all the time, and clean clothes alot. Is the yard fenced to keep Zoe close to the house? I am really happy for you. (Marion)

Jenn said...

Aw, that is the perfect gift!! :) I'm so happy for you guys to finally have a little more room and a laundry room! (what a simple pleasure!) I felt that same way when we moved into our house. I was constantly walking around making sure the 3 doors that went outside were all locked. It was weird not sharing any walls with anyone.... but I got over that. ;)
Glad you survived the move! Good luck unpacking... I hate that part of moving.

April said...

that's so awesome that you had so many helpers during the move! when i moved from my apartment to my townhome (6 years ago) i knew noBODY! and i had to move all by myself...the one coworker (guy) that said he would help was a no show on the actual moving day. so i hired a moving company to move all of the big stuff, but everything else was moved by me.
Congrats on your new washer and dryer!, they are beautiful!

Jessica said...

that's not lonely!! that's freeing!!! so excited for you! what's the yard space like? hopefully, you have some room out there too for the boys!

Summer said...

awesome! I want to see more pictures. Do you have a nice little yard?! I'm so happy for you guys! Do the kids love it?

Dr. Mark said...

Congratulations! And unpacking? Weren't you looking for something new to do? ;) What's Dave going to do for you in return?

Seriously, like Stacy said, we liked our doublewide in AZ and we have a lot of great memories from that time. Enjoy that washer and dryer!

Danielle said...

Congratulations your machines are great.

Jenn said...

moving is hard and does stink, but that is awesome that you had so much help! my cousins lived in a trailer for several years and when I was little I never realized that it was any different from any other house because it was so cute and cozy. i bet you are going to make it adorable. and that is the one thing that i hated about apartment living--the loud, terrible neighbors. I must have just had abnormal experiences?
and...that washer and dryer set is beautiful. wow, that is awesome!

Rachel P said...

Can I have your new washer and dryer? LOL, they're gorgeous! Yay to moving into a house, yay to a dishwasher that isn't you, and yay to a washer and dryer! How wonderful for you!

Em said...

That's pretty much the best gift, ever! It almost brought a tear to my eye thinking about how happy you must be. I'm super excited for you! I'm also pretty sure I will bawl like a baby the day I get my own w/d :)

Holly or James said...

i'm so happy for you!! A washer and dryer!!! I don't know how you did without for so long!

funny you have to go a week without Dave right after a move. I remember spending the first 3 nights in our new house just me and the kids too. James was gone on a business trip the night after we moved in.

Mikelle said...

Wes told Dave that if he was ever gone and you got scared, to call us and he would sniper shoot the perpetrator...haha.

Nice washer and dryer! I am so excited for you to be able to do laundry in your house.

We lived in a reeeaallly old single wide in an elderly community when we were first married. Haha, but we have so many memories there that I think of it very fondly! Wes used to get slapped on the butt by some of the old ladies. :)

Boquinha said...

BTW, we endured being called "trailer trash" and "white trash" by my oh-so-sensitive brother when we lived in our double wide (even though we loved our double wide!). I hope your siblings are kinder. :P

Holly or James said...

I'm angry about the washer and dryer...just sayin'
-gym

Emily said...

Wha? Why?