27 September 2010

introducing: aunt peggy

now that i've completed the encyclopedia of me, i think a new series is in order...one that's not about me. so here's one about YOU.

have you met my aunt peggy?

no?

well let me introduce you.

(peggy and my dad, circa 1960-something)

who she is: aunt peggy is my mom's youngest sister. she came to live with my parents when she was 11-years-old (i think?) and stayed through high school graduation--we even graduated from the same high school, about 20 years apart. so this was before i was born, but she's always seemed like just a part of the family.

more about her: she's married to johnpaul, and i was able to go to her wedding and her sealing in the manti temple. she lives in denver, colorado.

why you should know her: she's one of the friendliest people you will ever meet. in fact, i bet she reads all of your blogs, knows you and your kids and dogs and cats and pet snails, too. her laugh is infectious. she says things like "groovy" and "whatcha buildin'?" when you're fixing a sandwich or something like that. she has funny jokes, she's really smart, and super generous. remember when she gave me a magic wand for my birthday, because i had mentioned it in a blog post a few days earlier? and what about when she sent me two gigantic boxes of size 1 diapers before zoe was born...and then a box full of clothes after. and then two weeks ago a surprise package was delivered: not one, not two, but THREE bottles of the vanilla flavoring i've been unable to find for the past ten years. she gets my mom and her sisters and my girl cousins nearby together every christmas for a girls lunch out, which is one of the highlights of my holiday season. i could go on and on.

a happy memory: christmas 1994 she came to our house for christmas, along with her and my mom's brother earl. we got the game guesstures for the family present on christmas eve, and played it for hours that night. for some reason, it was incredibly funny, and i don't remember why, i just remember laughing our heads off that night.

a funny story: once when we lived in my parents basement, some of our friends were over. my parents have all of our old family pictures displayed downstairs. one such picture is of my parents and aunt peggy, when peggy was an older teenager, along with my sister alice and brother delos, who were very young. my friend looked at the picture for a long time, and i could hear her whispering to her husband. finally i go, "what? what is it?" and my friend timidly asks, "was your dad a polygamist?" at which point i BURST out laughing. because clearly this wasn't their daughter, she could only be a sister-wife? heh heh heh. i still laugh when i think of that. mostly because they were in our ward and my dad was in the bishopric and to think of him as a polygamist is just hi-larious.

her favorite singer: garth brooks. before she was married she would come to our house for christmas with loads of presents wrapped with tags that said "to: peggy, from: garth". just one more thing i love about her. she recently went to see him in vegas and she said it was completely awesome.

her favorite vacation spot: i'm just guessing here, but i think it would be maine. she's been there at least once but possibly more and i know she loved it, but you'll have to ask her why, because i don't know (besides the lobster, of course).

get to know her better: sadly, her blog is private, but you can get to know her better in the comment section. so peggy, here are the questions you should answer in the comments so we can all get to know you a little more: favorite color? favorite movie? most embarrassing story? favorite food? anything else you want to share??

i hope you've enjoyed getting to know aunt peggy. stay tuned for who i'll be introducing next. it could be YOU!

17 comments:

Peg said...

I am shocked a bit embarrassed but on the other hand – of course you should start this new series with me. Who else would you start with.
Favorite Color – I have loved purple since I was like 12 because Donny Osmond loved purple. I am also crazy about hunter green just not together.
Favorite Movie - I have many – it’s like trying to pick your favorite child. To name a few, Enchanted, Ever After, The Lake House, Finding Nemo, etc…
Favorite Food - Seafood, prime rib, chocolate (sadly I am not supposed to eat since I am diabetic), Mexican
Most embarrassing story - When I worked at Ryder Truck Rental they would have a golf tournament and invite customers to come play for free. One year they had “celebrities” join in also. There was a golf pro Billy Casper and a couple of DJ’s from a local radio station and a Wide Receiver from the Denver Broncos Haven Moses. He is so handsome and one of my coworkers and I were planning our strategy to get his autograph and she approached him before I was with her. I saw her off in the distance at the edge of a hill and I started running so I could be with her and of course I fell down the hill and rolled. Landed right at his feet. If I could have crawled in one of the holes I would have. My friend still laughs and talks about it today.
If you want to know more just ask. But this is plenty I would bet.
Thanks Em…You Rock!

Jenn said...

This is a great idea. I especially loved the polygamist story, that is pretty hilarious!

Rachel said...

So much fun! Emily, you do such fun things on your blog! I want to copy all your ideas, but am too lazy! :-)

Aunt Peggy, it's nice to 'meet' you!

Holly or James said...

Peggy is the best. She let us stay at her pad and hang out when we went up to see a ROckies game. She sent us diapers for Parker too!
Plus she used to really love Steven Segall. Oh man, that's HI-larious.
Sadly, she's never given her favorite nephew an invite to read her blog.

-gym

ellen said...

we do love peggy, i knew her favorite color!

Emily said...

I was pretty sure it was purple (hence the purple headings) but wasn't sure, so I couldn't say for sure.

April said...

this is aweosme, i love it! i'm super excited because you know some pretty wicked cool people!

even though i have never "met" Peg, she does comment on my blog randomly, and we came close to going to see "eclipse" together.

and now i say we should go get some mexican food, or go to the huckleberry tea house!

Peg said...

James, I told you to send me your email address which you haven't done.
If ya'll posted more about things you liked you would get more presents.
Before he was a wife beater and jerk yes I liked Steven Segall... sad but true

Peg said...

April, I love the huckleberry tea house! Yes we need to meet up for certain!

Boquinha said...

Yay! I *love* spotlight posts! And I think Peg is great!! She reads our blog and comments on it, too. I think that is super, super cool. She's funny and I like that. Nice job, Em.

Andrea J said...

Aunt Peggy sounds very nice, I'm glad she is your aunt and not your 2nd Mom. I love that you are doing this post series because it is so Emily, you are a really sweetie.

Sara said...

I already commented this morning but I don't see it here, so I'll try again. Sorry if I'm repeating myself.

I was excited to see this post today and I have a great AuntPeggy story: a couple of years ago, McDonald's was giving away Transformers in their happy meals and my little boy Charlie was obsessed with these toys. You know, the way only a 3 or 4 year old gets obsessed. We managed to get all of them for him except for one. So guess what? Aunt Peggy tracked down the one I was looking for and mailed it to Charlie. How sweet is that? A stupid McDonald's toy but it meant the world to him (and me). She really is awesome and fun and easy to talk to and generous and know I'm glad y'all know her a little better. Love you Peg!

And I can't wait 'til you post about your favorite sister Em!

The Gearharts said...

What a good idea! You're aunt sounds likes a ton of fun. Her info made me smile. Love the blog hacker incident as well. Too funny! Did you share your new password with Emilie as well? I do enjoy Emilie's blog as well, unfortunately I think she is on the East side of Pennsylvania and I'm on the West so we will probably never cross paths. Too bad though, she seems like tons of fun as well.

Holly or James said...

Peg, tengoelgato@yahoo.com - now I expect an invite ;)
-gym

J Fo said...

Man! I seriously aspire to be as cool and as thoughtful as Aunt Peg. What a great person to have in your life. Can I have her?! :)

J Fo said...

p.s. It always makes me feel special when I get a Peg comment on my blog, too. Even though I only post once every 3 months!

Carrie said...

I too really enjoyed reading about your Aunt Peg! My mom told me a little bit about her, but I wanted to know more....so this was fun for me to read :o) Thanks for sharing!!

Someday I hope to meet her.