i was a cheerleader in high school? all 4 years.
my sophomore year i made jv and my best friend made varsity (very unusual, varsity was usually just juniors and seniors). a few months into the year a few of the seniors quit the varsity squad because they "didn't want to be embarrassed" by the young, inexperienced girls. i got pulled up to varsity, and then later that year, we won state. it was one of the most exciting and rewarding moments of my life. (i'm serious.) i loved cheerleading, and we worked hard for that trophy.
go monarchs.
what did you do in high school?





13 comments:
I played basketball, ran track and cross country. I was always jealous of the cheerleaders, though, because they got to play their sport and still look cute. I will have to post some pictures from my "glory" days. You will laugh!!
Cool story!
I did National Honor Society and nerdy stuff like that. I didn't do that many extra curriculars (this is in part because I wasn't sure how to navigate those waters--as the child of immigrant parents who both had to drop out of high school to work to support their families, they didn't know a lot about high school culture and neither did I). High school was my first time attending public school and I wasn't sure how it all worked. I got involved with clubs mostly as college application padding.
I mostly liked being home (because I could get home EARLY in the afternoon--something I hadn't ever been able to do EVER before with my other schooling ... and I loved it), hanging out with my friends, visiting my grandfather, and working part-time jobs. I also started attending college in my senior year.
On weekends, our big group of friends would do stuff like scavenger hunts, movie nights, beach parties, dances, ice cream parties, etc. So fun! Thanks for the stroll down memory lane. :)
I started high school in Colorado. Tons of friends, I hung with the popular crowd... my friends were all on the 'POM' squad. I was an 'honorary member' lol lame... But then my parents up and moved us to Utah at the end of my sophmore year and I became a recluse. Everyone had their friend groups since jr. high and I was a new comer. So I did what I had to to graduate and did early release and went to work almost full time. No one was ever very welcoming and I was too shy and ok with being alone to care too much. Needless to say... I will NEVER move my kids once they're in high school. Miserable.
that was SO freaking awesome! i remember being so PROUD! ...and even now looking at the picture i almost have tears in my eyes! i remember going to the PIT to see the performances and loving every minute of it. and love Michelle's face, priceless!
to answer your question. i did a little bit of everything in HS. the big ones were speech and debate, drama, drill team, and student coucil. my junior year in particular was crazy. i was involved in drama a lot but was also on the drill team. rather than compete in state that year with the drill team i went to London with the drama kids.
i love your postings about HS!
Thespian Club--I was in some plays, but my specialty was retold story (State Champ!) I tried out for drill team but didn't make it so I joined Pep Club. My little red blazer got me into every sporting event (free) with a seat on the 50 yd line (or mid court, etc) Loved high school. Great friends, great times. I'm looking forward to a HS reunion this summer.
WOW! All of your commenters are over-achievers.
What did I do in High School?
Ditched class, listened to teen angst music, hated my parents, had a fake ID, got a tattoo....need I go on?
awesome emilie, sounds about like me.
you and michelle do look very excited!
I had NO idea, Vivian!! That is great
I converted to the church in High School and still look back on that stage as one of the greatest experiences of my life.
So cute, and fun. I pole vaulted for a year, its true, I quit and still regret it, I also did high jump both very fun even though I wasn't very good at it. But most of all I loved basketball, I still dream about playing on my HS basketball team. A bit corny I know but I loved it.
Ok Emilie...Yours is the story I want to hear! I have a kid doing those things RIGHT NOW. oy.
I can hear the teenage angst music coming from downstairs as I type as a matter of fact.
Track and Field: 440 man took 4th at the league championships; Music - A Capella Choir; Drama: The Music Man and You Can't Take It With You - Google "Rita Litton" she played my mother and now runs an acting school in NYC. Year Book my senior year - Sports Editor. Also ran cross country my Jr and Sr years. Is it a wonder I pulled a whopping 2.7 GPA!!!
Great post! You are such an adorable little cheerleader. I spent much of high school not liking cheerleaders (sorry!) because they got all the tall guys. Kidding..kid of. But I was a jock and nerd mix: volleyball, basketball, high jump, student council, show choir, ditching here and there, track and I worked at Subway between sport seasons. Fun times!
Post a Comment