10 February 2010

the carrabba's effect

O



ver christmas break i went to lunch at carrabba's with my mom and sister ellen.

have you ever been there?

go.

go now.

order the chicken marsala.

it didn't really cross my mind that chicken marsala is made with marsala wine. not only do i not drink alcohol (ever), but i was 6 1/2 months pregnant at the time. and in case you didn't know, pregnant women are not supposed to drink alcohol. but the chicken marsala is that good people. it's worth risking fetal alcohol syndrome for. (okay, i'm kidding, don't go getting all mean commenty on me, it's just a joke. i recognize there is nothing funny about FAS and the joke may have been in poor taste. i'm leaving it. deal.) it didn't even cross my mind that i might not order that. there's nothing else to order. IT'S THAT GOOD.

in addition to our meals, all three of us ordered a specialty drink. mom and i got frozen mango lemonades and ellen got a raspberry one. one taste of that bad boy and i was hooked. i guzzled the thing down in a matter of minutes and thought,

"best drink i've ever had."

mom and ellen were slower in getting to their drinks. a few minutes after i finished my drink ellen tasted hers and said, "i think this might have alcohol in it?" my mom hadn't heard her say it and we all just kept eating and talking. a while later my mom tasted her drink and said, "i think this has alcohol in it." i started to laugh, and we took turns testing each others drinks. mine was long gone so we can't be sure...ellen's and mom's most definitely were alcoholic. i'm assuming mine was as well, since my mom and i ordered the same thing at the same time...i just drank it too quickly to notice.

so it turns out the only time i do imbibe is when i'm pregnant.

and man, was it goo-oood.

it might also explain why i yelled out "screw you, grandma!" during lunch so loudly that the ladies at the table next to us gave me shocked faces and serious maddogs. but that's a whole different story.

16 comments:

Sara said...

I really need the grandma story. now please.

Thanks!

Rachel said...

oh my, you are funny. funny, funny, funny.

Boquinha said...

Hilarious! You're probably fine with the chicken Marsala (cooking with alcohol is hardly going to do anything to you or the baby), but the drink? Dude. SO funny.

christina said...

too hilarious!

J Fo said...

Oh my, Lady! That's Fuh-nee.

April said...

holy cow that is too funny! got to love some alcohol that doesn't taste like alcohol(that's the only kind i'll drink)!!! hi-larious. and love carrabb's!

Kina and Nathan said...

I'm pretty sure all the alcohol cooks out of the sauce when they make it so you should be safe there...the drink, that's another matter! haha I'm sure it won't affect the baby at all. is carrabbs in ABQ too. If so I think I've been there too and it was yummy!!!!

Andy said...

You ARE a lush ;)

Emily said...

kina--that's a myth. but i like to perpetuate it because sometimes i like to eat food with alcohol in it. :)

ellen said...

oh man i can NOT stop laughing, hi-larious. looking back you really musta been a little tipsy with all your silliness

Jessica said...

best story EVER! Wish i coulda been there.

Holly or James said...

you lush!
-gym

Jillo said...

Ha! That is the funniest thing I have heard all day. Thanks for the smile.
Oh, and thanks for the sweet thank you card. It made my day for reals. (is it okay to thank someone for a thank you? does this mean you now owe me a thanks for the thanks for the thanks?)

Maude Beckman said...

Laughing so hard I'm about to pee my pants! You just crack me up!

Carrie said...

Oh my gosh...you have no idea how much I crave Carrabba's Marsala chicken. Joh teases me that I'm a closet alcoholic and I use this dish to get my fill every once in a while.
...either way, I usually ask for extra mushrooms and sauce. So there! We can be wine bibbers together!

Anonymous said...

Browsing your blog . . . I've been laughing non-stop ever since I came across this one, Emily!