11 September 2009

encyclopedia of me - l

(clockwise, from top left):

  • larson - my maiden name. i happen to think it's the best last name. i can't fully describe why i love it so much. the kindhearted people my parents are, the legacy left by my larson ancestors, and the fun i have with my larson family when we get together, all combine to make larson my favorite name in the world.
  • lladro - my mom got her first lladro on a trip to europe when i was just a little girl. her second was a gift from us kids, a small nativity scene that we went together on for christmas one year. then she got the christus a few years after that, and inherited my dad's mom's lladro's when she passed away. she has passed her love of lladro's on to me. i can't walk through macy's without stopping to look at the intricate craftsmanship of these beautiful figurines. if i were rich, i'd love to have a few, particularly the one shown here called a mother's treasure. wouldn't it be the perfect gift for a new mother? i also love flowers for everyone. each tiny, individual flower is astonishing. maybe some day i'll go to spain and see where they're made in person.
  • life is beautiful - i first saw this film at the international cinema at byu. mere moments into the film, i was captured. the story is riveting, the reality heartbreaking, and the end inspiring. i won't ruin it for you if you haven't seen it, but i strongly suggest you do just that: see it as soon as you can, in italian. (i've tried watching it in english and it's just not the same.) the lesson of this movie--that life is beautiful even in the most horrific circumstances--is one that i think about often, especially when i'm feeling unhappy about something trivial. and "bonjourno, principessa!" is possibly the best line of any love story ever made.
  • letterpress - this is relatively new for me, but i find myself drawn to the art form of letterpress. i am amazed at the creativity of people who do this, and i love the detail. i wish i had a business so i could have letterpress business cards, and i would love to do letterpress holiday cards. it's probably not feesible because of cost, but in the meantime, i like to look. these particular cards are from sweetbeet's etsy shop.
(you can read more of my encyclopedia here)

9 comments:

Andy said...

Wouldn't Larson be the BEST ever name for a baby girl! Love Lladro. I carried my first (and last) piece home from St. Martin in MY LAP. Honestly I've flown with two kids since and found it easier and less terrifying.

Diane Owen said...

I LOVE Life is Beautiful too. And I agree, has to be in Italian. Great movie. And I love Llardo too, my mom has several I hope to inherit someday...being the youngest probably won't happen, but I can hope. Let's go to Spain together and see them! Our mom's went, why not us??

Anonymous said...

I agree that Life is Beautiful must be seen in Italian! I watched it with the kids and Carter couldn't yet read but he totally enjoyed it. Frank watched it the next day but opted for the English version. Carter knew the whole plot and kept ruining it by telling Frank things in advance... It was funny. All the kids agreed that the English version wasn't the same.

I love Larson too. We have an awesome Larson heritage!

Jessica said...

i'm hoping to inherit my mom's lladro's one day.she got her first one in spain when she and my dad when to pick up my brother from his mission.

Unused Account said...

AMEN to everything you said.
Although, I feel nervous around Lladro's because I am worried I will bump into them and break them.
My Mom has a beautiful one.

April said...

i have to agree larson is freakin' pretty cool name!

i've never seen life is beautiful. i'll have to check it out. so do you see it in italian with english subtitles?

Just Us said...

Do you like that I'm always commenting on previous posts while on the newest post? Yeah...I'm cool (and behind like that). I had a good laugh over your "cooking everyday is for the birds." I like that so much I should get some one to make it into some vinyl lettering and put it in my kitchen. Also, anything viewed at BYU international cinema instantly has a place in my heart. I saw Babette's Feast there and wonder if I would have loved it so much if I had seen it anywhere else.

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

Looks like a great family!

Boquinha said...

I'm seriously so behind, too. Happy Birthday again to Noah. Yes, many transitions aren't as hard as people make them out to be. Sharp dressed men? Good. Just put foil on your burners. Whatever mascara is on sale but without being too cheap/clumpy. PHEW!