25 August 2009

encyclopedia of me - s

left to right, from top:
  • september - the weather starts cooling off, but it's not cold yet. school is starting. the leaves are changing and you crunch them as you walk through the grass. long sleeves. scarves. one of the most beautiful months of the year, and one my favorites.
  • strawberries - i have always liked strawberries, but the past few weeks, i can't get enough. i buy a carton, wash and slice them, put them in the fridge, then ten minutes later take them back out and eat the whole bag. they're tart but sweet, pretty to look at, and so good in just about anything (pies, salads, or all by themselves). chocolate-covered, plain, or covered in whipped cream, they are perfection in fruit form.
  • sense and sensibility - one of my favorite movies of all time. i have to confess that i've never read the book (i've never read anything by jane austen, in fact) but my sister sara gave me the dvd for my 20th birthday. it was the 2nd dvd i ever owned and i still watch it all the time. i think it is superbly acted, beautifully shot, and heartwrenchingly real. i agonize with eleanor when lucy tells her her secret. i cannot watch the ending without sobbing right along with her when edward comes back. i love this movie.
  • seinfeld - i think the show is hilarious, but even more so, i love the actual jerry seinfeld. i will never forget going to see him in salt lake city last summer with my family. it was a pure 2-hour laugh-fest. i don't think i've ever laughed so hard. my face actually hurt when it was over, and i was still aching for more. he is one of the funniest people alive. if you get the chance to see his act in person, do it. i truly admire his talent to make millions of people laugh.
  • sisters - i read a blog post once about a girl and her best friend. i loved this post but i felt a little left out. she said: "I am from the school of thought that every girl needs a best friend. Sisters don't count. You need someone that you have chosen and that has chosen you." and i wished and i wished that i had my own ethel. a few days after reading that post i went on a trip with some friends to california and we talked about who our very best friend was. i found myself thinking only of my sisters. then i thought of this blog post and i thought, "sisters do count." because anybody can have a sister, but you have to choose to make that sister your friend. i could easily have grown up and distanced myself from them. but my sisters know me inside and out. they've known me since the day i was born. they know all the most horrible and embarrassing things i've done, and they still love me and they choose me as much as i choose them. they choose me when they call me to cry about their day, and i choose them when i can't wait to call and tell them something that happened in my life. they tell me when i'm wrong and they cheer me on when i'm right. we did choose each other, even if we didn't choose what family we were born into. we choose each other every day. and that is why we are best friends, me and my sisters. (this was the only semi-recent photo i could find of all 4 of us together. my sister-in-law misty is in this picture too, although holly is missing, which would make it complete, but alas, it was not to be. we are not big picture takers. sorry holly.)
(you can read more of my encyclopedia here)

13 comments:

J Fo said...

I LOVE this! I never aught on the the Seinfeld thing, which makes me a bit of an outcast in the Foley family. I'm not a huge Austin fan at all. In fact, I prefer the movies to the books. Isn't that kind of sad for an English teacher to say? And I think what you wrote about your sisters in spot on and really hits home!

Anonymous said...

I've never been able to get into the sitcom and I doubt I ever will after hearing about Kramer using the n-word, but a friend of mine had a recording of Seinfeld's stand up act and I thought it was genius.

April said...

september is a pretty cool month. love strawberries, dipped in sugar! i've never seen "sense and sensibility", i think i should check it out. i've never really since "seinfeld" either. you are so lucky to come from a big family, and have your sisters as your friends! i myself have a couple of cousins who are friends so that makes them like sisters, and for that i'm grateful!

ellen said...

your sisters picture could have done double duty for "s"wiss days!! heh heh

Peg said...

Sister so count. I would be lost without mine! I love your Encyclopedia of me entries.

Boquinha said...

Fun post. I like these. Ditto Jess on both Seinfeld (funny, but the characters are all sooooooo shallow, so I get annoyed easily and can't really get into it) and Austen. Bronte is WAY better than Austen. But the movies are good. I like the music from that one, too. Can't relate on the sisters thing, but it always sounds so so wonderful and I always feel jealous (though happy for others) when I hear about it.

Dave said...

I would like to make it clear that Kramer never used the n-word, but Michael Richards did. Kramer is a rather tolerant and open-minded person. He might be more complex than Boquinha gives him credit for, too. How many communist entrepreneurs have you come across? Long live Kramerica.

Emily said...

Funniest comment ever, Dave. I'm busting up.

Vivian said...

When I looked at the pictures, I assumed the last one was Swiss Days, but sisters are even better. My older sister is 6 years older and my younger sister is 6 years younger. As kids, we mostly just bugged each other. Now that we're grown, we live in 3 different states but we're still friends as well as sisters.

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

Whoever says sisters don't count is really missing out. My sisters are my best friends too.

Jillo said...

Great post. I am going to agree with every single one: fall is such a great time of year, strawberries are indeed divine, still jealous that you got to see Sienfeld live, Jane Austen in the bomb dot com and sisters are the best thing in the entire world.

Shannon said...

I also thought you were going to swiss days! I have to say I love EVERYTHING in your S volume, especially your sisters. You are all so smart, funny, and cool. I love having Ellen in my family and everytime I've been around the rest of you, you are all so nice and fun to be around. I do think sisters count. I choose mine too!

Jessica said...

Good one Dave! LOVE Seinfeld. When we were driving home from Lake Powell with my family we all had walkie talkies in our cars and played a Seinfeld quote game. We each took turns saying quotes from the show until someone couldn't think of one and was out. We seriously played for hours. We were cracking up. Oh, and my sisters are my best friends too!