29 June 2009

family reunion 2009

dave's mom's dad's (got that?--his name was lynn pope) family reunion was this past weekend in vernal, utah. we headed down friday morning in a caravan with mark & stacy. it was cloudy, windy, and cold most of the day (we even ended up buying jackets at wal-mart we were so cold). that didn't stop us from partying, though. nothing can stop the party. kids caught frogs, played on the playground, ran like banshees, and caught up with family.

saturday was much warmer and we were able to do more. we flew kites, played kickball, football, and baseball, dug in more sand, had a carriage ride, and...visited with family some more. that's the point of a family reunion, right? (and yes, i really am that short, especially compared to my sisters-in-law who are 6 feet tall.)
saturday evening we went to grandpa pope's grave site so we could lay flowers on the grave and talk a bit about him. he served in world war 2 and earned the purple heart, silver star, and bronze star. he was there on d-day and helped take omaha beach. he specifically took out the machine guns and something else that i can't remember--maybe vivian can help me out? grandpa pope died in a car crash in 1970 when my mother-in-law was a freshman in college. it was so nice to get to know him a little through this reunion. he really seemed like a great man and i'd love to get to know him some day.
saturday night we went back to grandma pope's house and cousin-in-law jill took our family pictures. cousin-in-law april helped keep the kids happy during pictures and it was really fun! i can't wait to see how they turned out. everybody looked great and jill is so talented.

i really loved this reunion. i don't know dave's side of the family super well, but i had a great time hanging with his brothers, and the cousins that i do know, especially the oaks. i'm so glad we were able to go and do this, especially since all 5 of dave's brothers were together for the first time in more than 10 years. i can't wait 'til the next one!

16 comments:

Peg said...

its super fun to see all the kids together. I read their blogs because hey, it's family. It was kind of strange to see Emmy and Doug and Jenny's and Mark and Stacy's kids in the same picture with Isaac but I love it! What a great weekend!

J Fo said...

It really was fun! It was nice to have time to sit and visit and reconnect a bit. I think my favorite part was at Grandma Pope's house. She is just so sweet and gentle with the kids. I loved seeing all the guys back together again. I really can't wait to see how all of the pictures turned out!

ellen said...

did everybody match? :)

April said...

looks like a great time, with wonderful memories!

Jenn said...

how fun. i love family reunions... i wish my family did them more often. john's family does them every year. the kids always have so much fun.

Emily said...

yes ellen! pretty much everybody wore jeans and some sort of blue top.

Jessica said...

so you found jeans?

Jillo said...

IT was a great weekend. It was so much fun to get to know every a little bit better. Thanks for the nice words. The pictures are turning out awesome.

Emily said...

yes jess! they were pretty cute too.

christina said...

i'm the short one too in all the pics in clint's family. they're all over 6 ft. so sad.

i'm glad you had a great time. i always dread going to family reunions, but then i have the best time.

The Gearharts said...

Looks like alot of fun, it's always so neat to hear family stories and learn more about your ancestors.

Jenny said...

You got your picture up so fast! I'm jealous. They're so great! IT was a wonderful time. I especially loved it at Grandma Pope's house too Jess. SO fun to have all the cousins together! Hopefully again sometime soon... :)

Jenny said...

I just re-read my post and realized how lame it was. What it with my fragmented sentences? I have a college education I swear!

Emily said...

Nah, they were good Jenny.

Dr. Mark said...

Great pictures! We'll have to share ours soon. I wish I'd remembered the camera cable on our trip so we could have posted from the road. It was really great to get all the cousins together. They all seemed to really enjoy each other.

Boquinha said...

So so wonderful! I'm kicking myself for not taking our video camera. Anyone get any video?