13 June 2009

am i reading too much into this movie?

we saw UP as a family a few weeks ago, and can i just say...LOVED it. it was seriously awesome. have you seen it? the beginning part was so unexpected for me. i cried through the first twenty minutes! i was already feeling weepy because right before the movie started was the harry potter preview, and i walked in just in time to hear harry say "fight back, you coward!" and the associations with that moment in the book are so powerful that i instantly started fighting tears (unsuccessfully). so then UP starts, and i assumed it started with a cranky old man. but it starts with a sweet, quiet little boy, who meets a sweet, talkative little girl, and the rest is history. i love that they bought that rundown house they played in as children and fixed it up. i love that they meshed their styles and had their own, different armchairs to sit in, and that the chairs were still there when they were old and grey. i bawled when ellie couldn't get pregnant, cheered when carl bought plane tickets to south america, and cried even more when ellie got sick and died before they could go. people talk about benjamin button being life changing...those people need to see this. carl thought he should not have put off for tomorrow what he could have done with his wife while she was alive. ellie and carl wanted a great adventure together...but what he didn't realize was that they had it. it was okay that they didn't go live in south america. they spent their lives together, and they were happy. that was their adventure--although i was glad carl did eventually go. and i hope i get to go to italy before i die, but if i don't, that's okay. i'm having my own adventure right here in little old clearfield.

17 comments:

Unused Account said...

Um....seriously.
Did you just ruin the plot for me?
Yep.
Yep you did.

Emily said...

UH OH. sorry sista. i guess it's payback for the times you ruined bachelor for me. heh heh heh. no really though, sorry.

Holly or James said...

yeah, reading WAY to much into that movie. and cryin' at Harry Potter preview? seriously?
-gym

Hansen Family said...

Oh poor thing!!! You will like it I hope:)

Boquinha said...

Um, Emily, I think you need a GIANT spoiler alert up there.

That being said . . . I LOVED this movie, too!! LOVED it! I cried, too. Several times. It caught me a bit off guard. Beautiful movie. Really one of Pixar's best. Fabulous message. Live in the now--it IS an adventure. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

Jenn said...

We haven't seen this yet, but EVERYONE that I know that has seen it, has LOVED it. We've never ever taken our boys to the theatre... this one might be the first. It looks (and sounds) so good.

Emily said...

I probably do need a spoiler alert, but I figured people would realize what the post was about in the first sentence and stop reading if they hadn't seen it. Guess I was wrong.

ellen said...

yeah i sooooo loved this movie - 100x better than benjamin button in my opinion, saw it awhile ago but still think about it daily

April said...

much agreed, you definitely need the spoiler alert. i kinda read through to post fast but now i kinda know what the movie is about etc... but that's ok, because i probably won't see it until it comes out on video. but i will definitely check it out.

Jillo said...

We loved this movie too! SO great. Did you just love Doug?
I too mist up at Harry Potter. I am totally going to the midnight showing and geeking out to the fullest.

Summer said...

i cried like crazy because i kept thinking of grandma like the old lady who died. I saw it with grandma and my freind.

April said...

i meant to also say, that dave is one lucky dude to be along for your adventure!

Andy said...

Took my two miracle babies to see it. M #1 sat in my lap eating popcorn and LOVED it. M #2- slept the entire time. I bawled like a baby when she loses hers. Afraid somebody would have to cart me out of there. And even worse when she died. LOVE it though. And am trying to figure out how to attach six dozen balloons to a cardboard box-made into house with Tiney inside for Halloween. Can you imagine the "production" every time we tried to get to a front door for trick or treating with all the balloon ruckus. Oh, and we'd dress Todd up as a ginormous bird!

Val said...

We just saw it on Saturday and we all loved it! I was afraid Claire would get too emotional during the sad parts but she kept it together. GREAT movie!

Vince and Vanica said...

We rarely see theater movies but I'm so glad we made it to UP. You are right...sorry James! It's fantastic. My son's name is Kevin, so for days now, we've all been saying, "Kevin's a GIRL??"

Dr. Mark said...

That was, by far, the most touching scene in a Pixar flick since Toy Story 2 where Jessie thinks about being left in that box on the side of the road. I thought it was a fantastic movie. Good thing I saw it before you spoiled it for me. ;)

lynette said...

ok, i purposely didn't read this post when you originally posted it because we hadn't seen it yet. infact, they just barely released it here in singapore and we saw it today.
I CRIED LIKE A BABY! It was so touching and sweet. I loved it! I think you hit the nail on the head. No matter where you live and what you do--you're having your own adventure!