05 March 2009

how the shower squeegee changed america (or, the real cause of global warming)

is there any felicity superior to a perfect, hot shower? just the right amount of water pressure; the water is warm, bordering on too hot, so that your skin is a little pink; the room is foggy with the steam; you stand under the running water for a few extra minutes just because it is the best feeling in the world. you feel awake, rejuvenated, clean. quickly, you turn off the shower and reach for your big, fluffy towel to wrap up in, when you see it.

the shower squeegee.


















and just like that, the good the shower did runs down the drain (pun intended).

now you have to stand there naked, wet, and cold while you squeegee off all four walls. the cold and dirty wall-water splashes on your once-clean feet and legs and runs from the squeegee to your hand and down your arm and you start shivering.

now i know it's better to do this now than to deal with the water spots later, but it is my contention that the shower squeegee may be responsible for a myriad of america's problems...starting with global warming.

that's right, i said global warming. people take nice warm showers, then hop out and go about their day, everything's fine. but when you have to squeegee, all that changes. you are now freezing, and it is impossible to get warm again. you bundle up and head outside in the summertime, and of course it feels hotter than normal. you're an icicle because you had to spend all that time squeegeeing. also, all that water on the walls that would normally evaporate and help your skin feel soft and moisturized is down the drain so you have to use more lotion, which means less money to purchase other things and more waste (you know, empty bottles filling up the landfills). with less water in the air it rains less often, so the plants and trees and grass start dying. less water causes a drought, which makes it hard for farmers to grow food. if there's no food, we have to start importing more and more.
that's expensive.
prices rise.
and all of a sudden, we're in a recession.

wait, there's more:

parents are grouchy;
kids are running their homes;
people want to redefine marriage;
there's pollen in the air;
crime rates go up;
gas prices increase;
it snows in march;
banks are failing;
car companies are going bankrupt...
...and it all started a few years ago,
when shower squeegees became mainstream.

coincidence? i think not.

11 comments:

Peg said...

I think your are on to something!

Rachel P said...

Em, you're brilliant! And you reminded me that I forgot to get another squeegee when I was at Target yesterday. UGH, I wish I knew where my brain was sometimes.....

April said...

wow. amazing, simply amazing.

I myself have never purchased or used a shower squeegee(is that really a word?!), so don't blame me! :)

Leslie said...

my husband would totally agree. he has a running hatred of squeegeeing. his dream home will have a shower with no glass whatsoever. :)

Jessica said...

Dude how long does it take you to squeegee the shower? Maybe it doesn't take me as long because I only do the glass doors not all four walls? And P.S. Your titles lately are cracking me up-just like Kristy's at LRS. HI-larious!

The Gearharts said...

Brilliant! Why don't you email that over to Al Gore and see what he thinks?

Emily said...

I don't shower squeegee, Jess. We have a shower-curtain-tub-shower.

And, um, that's the best compliment I might have ever received. Thanks. (comparing me to Kristy I mean.)

Unused Account said...

Believe it or not....I take cool showers. No warmer than room temp. Who wants to get out of the shower into a figgy room and start sweating? You were clean! And cold water is better for your hair.

J Fo said...

I agree! I totally hate squeegees. We have a shower curtain, but when we're at the St. G house I always shower 2nd so Greg has to do it!

lynette said...

i don't use a shower squeegee. i use the non-green after shower spray, but in a way, that too strengthens your case on global warming!

Summer said...

conspiracy theory if i ever saw one.