26 February 2009

too much.

i think sometimes i come across as a bit too much. when i meet new people i don't like, i sit quietly. when i meet people i do like, i try to make conversation, trying to make myself seem funnier/cooler than i really am, so he or she will desperately want to be friends with me. i can get a little hyper and annoying...my cheery self comes off as desperate and weird. and then i run out of things to say, things get awkward, and i slink away to the corner to sulk and hide myself in shame. apparently, the blog world is no different. one of dave's old roommates added me on facebook last week, and let me know about his (wife's) blog. i've never met his wife, but i left a comment anyway, 'cause while i don't know her and probably will never meet her, i want her to like me. and let's face it, coming across likeable on a blog is not as easy as it is in person (unless you're me, when it isn't easy in person either). so this was my comment:

Hi Lisa, I’m Emily. I knew your husband before he was your husband at BYU–he was roommates with my husband…before he was my husband. Anywho, just thought I’d comment and say hi...Nice to “bleet” you. I just made up that word. It’s a blog/meet combo. Awesome.
so that intro comment was probably a bit too much for someone who doesn't know me. and bleet? seriously? how embarrassing.

17 comments:

lynette said...

for what it's worth, i never thought that about you. and, i think i make bad first impressions too.

Anonymous said...

I think you are hilarious and funny in blogland. I don't know about your in-person issue since I haven't ever had to have that first impression thing with you.

If she's cool, like us, she'll laugh at "bleet". If she's cool. Like us.

Shirlene said...

With a comment like that I'm surprised she hasn't phoned and invited you to lunch by now! I'm sure she is totally intrigued and interested and instinctively knows you are way super cool!

Em said...

I'm laughing so hard that you wrote bleet. I think it's sort of awesome and well, I too make up "combo" words all the time. You are hilarious.

Maude Beckman said...

Emily you are WAY too hard on yourself! You make a good first impression (at least you did on me!). If I didn't know you and you left this message on my blog I would think that you are a very nice person indeed!

Besides, you are the most witty and hilarious blogger I know!

Diane Owen said...

HAHA! So funny! I have the same issue with meeting people. I tend to want people to like me and try really hard to make friends and sometimes over do it. Maybe its genetic. :) But everyone loves you. How could they not!

April said...

so funny! you seriously crack me up.

i remember when we first found each other on myspace, and you wrote me a message and told me about your blog. i remember thinking "why is she so anxious about her blog? we haven't spoken for 8+ years, and all she wants to tell me about is her blog, werid." and i looked it, but at that time i didn't get trapped, like how i am now. but now i totally get it. it seems like when i meet people i want to say "hi i'm april and i have a blog, you should check it out." or friends who know that i have a blog, but don't read my blog, and when they ask what's going on, or how my workouts are going, i'm thinking "don't they read my blog? they need to read my blog!"

anyways, you should totally get "bleet" copyrighted!, great idea, i like it.

Andrea J said...

It's so true, you don't have any friends and you're not funny. That's why you have such a loyal following. You're perfect and I don't know what we can do to convince you.

Rachel P said...

I agree with the above comment! We love you and you really are awesome. I wish you weren't so hard on yourself!

brookeaprilrain said...

Emily...I now know that you and I really are related...I do the exact same thing. However, I don't think you should worry about coming across as too much. If you're comfortable with yourself enough to do that, then you are expressing yourself. If they aren't understanding enough to know that you have a desire to be there friend, then they really weren't meant to be your friend.

Vivian said...

Ah, Emily. Who among us has not hit 'publish comment' and immediately regretted it. You are a crack up. I felt your pain when I read the whole 'I knew your husband' sentence. Then I read it again. Slowly. 'Anywho?' 'Bleet?' I laughed until I cried. I giggle everytime I think of it. Still giggling. Emily, you ARE clever, you ARE awesome. Everyone who knows you, knows that. I wish I could have been just like you before I grew up.

ellen said...

I'm in hysterics, oh classic

Lindsay said...

Hahah...Emily, are you sure we do not come from the same family?? I have done things like that so many times. When I met my sister-in-laws family the night before my brothers wedding, I made the biggest fool of myself. I had just learned that my S-I-L's youngest brother had the Initials LSD for his name. I totally thought my S-I-L's brother was sooo cute and I was trying to be funny making fun of his younger brothers initials. I was like, "haha, LSD, that's pretty funny (Im cringing thinking bout it)." They didnt even crack a smile. I was trying to pull that comment back before it fully left my mouth. Oh well...I was 18.
Now Im trying to member how you were when I met you? Were you talkative...OR....sitting back quietly watching every move that I made. Hmmmmm....

April (Thorup) Oaks said...

Whatever. You are awesome - just a little too hard on yourself.

Lisa C said...

Emily! I don't even know you but after reading all those comments on this post I feel like I can make fun of you already. :) I didn't mean to ignore you...I'm just totally scatter-brained on my computer...seriously, you should see how many windows I have open at a time. If it makes you feel any better, I did add your blog to my google reader. It looked interesting, though I must admit I hadn't had time to visit it...until I saw you linked to my blog! Ha! Anyway, I thought your comment on my blog was fine, though I thought "bleet" was totally corny--sorry! Hahahaha. I'll have to tell Phillip about this. Anyway, thanks for wanting me to like you...it's very flattering!

Boquinha said...

Hahaha! Funny post. And nice compliment from Vivian! Wow.

Emily said...

I know, seriously. Cool mother-in-law, eh?