15 January 2009

encyclopedia of me - m


clockwise from left:

  • march - the month i was born in, it reminds me of happiness. spring is usually well on its way (despite the occassional snowfall, in utah at least) and life feels like it could possibly be good again. i love breaking out the capri pants and shorts and spending time outside without a coat, even if it's only barely 60°. march is my favorite month of the year.
  • moulin rouge- while this is a wonderful movie, this is mostly a place holder for a more general term: musicals. i love them. i have rarely seen a musical that i didn't love, whether it be on the big screen or on stage. it started with les miserables in high school and has grown from there. i love musicals. moulin rouge in particular is a favorite. i remember coming out of the theater and bawling, and thinking about it for days. it has a weird start, but after the weird elephant scene, it probably makes it into my top ten favorites of all time.
  • monet - i love impressionist art. i'm not much of an art afficionado, but i know what i like. and monet is someone i love. this particular painting is called "the stroll" and if i had a million dollars, i would buy it. in this particular painting, i love the little boy in the background . in general i love the colors and feel of his paintings. when we lived in maryland we had two monet prints up in our living room, and i loved to look at them. he's definitely a favorite.
  • make-up - i don't love putting it on, but i love its effects. it's remarkable how i can go from a rather ordinary (and not so cute) person to someone i can stand to look at with just a few brush strokes. i wish i was better at applying make-up, but even the little amount i do always makes me feel better about my day.
  • mini van - i'm dying for a minivan. i know some people think they're dorky, but that means those people don't have kids. to be able to open the sliding doors with only a touch of a button! i can't imagine anything better. they have so much space, and so many extra features. i could practically live in a minivan if i had one. it's definitely on my wish list for the coming year.
(you can read more of my encyclopedia here)

12 comments:

Jessica said...

LOVE Moulin Rouge. But sorry I HATE minivans. Seriously. And I do have a kid. I know they make so much sense and are easy, I just hate the way they look. We are the only ones in Sean's family who do not have a minivan. My brother just got one and it is so nice inside--I just can't get over the outside look. I had one as a rental car once and was so embarassed all day driving it. Petty? Yes. Do I care? No!

Jessica said...

Oh that's why I want that one SUV that looks like an SUV on the outside but a minivan inside. The best of both worlds, right?!?

Diane Owen said...

I love my minivan. I know its liche and a little dorky, but I totally do. I don't know what I would do without it. I haven't seen Moulin Rouge in forever, I should definitely see it again. Come What May is on my wedding video, love it. I love musicals too. Ryan would rather die...but we make it work. :) And I am totally with you on make-up, i know so little, but like what it can do.

April said...

did you know in HS i was voted 2 years in a row "most likely to own a mini van" by the thespian troupe?!

I've always wanted a mini van too.

and i have the same relationship with makeup too.

AustinCougar said...

The van is awesome.

Anonymous said...

The first time I ever talked marriage with my wife (then girlfriend) was after a date to the movies in which we saw Moulin Rouge. So I have a love/hate relationship with that movie. Really it's kind of corny and drawn out, but associated with something good. Movie musicals--when they are bad, they are really, really bad--i.e. Mamma Mia. THE WORST MOVIE I SAW LAST YEAR. Talk about dumb!

ellen said...

all good m's. LOVE my minivan, I truly have a love affair with it. and I think it's beeee-utiful on the outside and in jess!

Emily said...

blasphemy! mamma mia! wasn't dumb. okay, maybe it was. but i LOVED the girl in it and her voice was amazing. and there were lots of parts that made me laugh out loud. so not totally dumb, i guess.

Kina and Nathan said...

Wow I was reading through these things and I thought I was looking in a mirror! haha I totally LOVE musicals, old ones and new ones. Nate and I have the soundtrack to HSM 1 and 2...hehe. And I loved Moulin Rouge, bawled and still do when I watch it.

Love art! I wouldn't say that I'm really eduacated in specific types though, but I think I could appreciate a good piece. Makeup is like the best invention ever! and I'm coming around on the functionality of a good minivan. Maybe when we have kids I'll be ready.

Anonymous said...

I've never seen Moulin Rouge. :-o

Carrie said...

AMEN to your thoughts on a mini van. I get teased all the time for telling people that it is my number one wish this year. Forget the SUV...give me sliding doors that open themselves!!!!

Deirdre said...

I never wanted a minivan, but with baby #3 we gave in and now I can't imagine life without it. Love it.

I also love the calendar in your March shot...can you share a link? Where is it from?

Found your site via Emilie's blog...love this idea.