what is the scariest thing you have ever done?
******
i thought this was a good question since halloween is this week. jill came up with it when i was asking for help with my questions of the week. so. i really haven't done very many scary things. i went rapelling when i was twelve and my feet came out from under me. i was trying to stand up instead of leaning back--it's so counterintuitive--and that was terrifying. and we were on the tiny practice hill. after that i refused to go on the huge cliff that everybody else, including my mom, did. to me, that was scary. but not the most scary thing ever.
i think maybe the most scary thing was the stratosphere in las vegas. the first time was my freshman year of college with my friend jessica, her boyfriend scott, and our friend jeremy. we rode up the elevator, and they have this
glass at the top that is slanted outwards, so you can lean out over the edge, and it is awful. i don't call myself afraid of heights, but this feeling was pure terror. you're supposed to lean your head way out and put it on the glass, and keep your arms behind your back. i physically couldn't do it. i had to hold onto something. it was so scary. then you go outside, and they put you on this crazy ride called the "big shot", where they shoot you straight up and drop you back down. you've all seen the ride before, they have it everywhere. but on top of the stratosphere? the tallest free-standing observation tower in the country? it "shoots passengers straight up 160 feet at 45 mph (over 4 Gs) until they are 1,081 feet above the Strip." it's terrifying. absolutely terrifying.
here's the stupid part: i've done it twice. first with the group previously mentioned, and second with my sister ellen and her boyfriend jared.
i'm an idiot.
this is the picture from the first one, i couldn't find my picture from the time i went with ellen & jared. bummer.

(from left: scott, jess, me--jeremy didn't go on the ride. it's a really flattering picture of me, eh?)
i think if this is the scariest thing i have ever done, this proves that i am a wuss. does anybody know if i've done anything scarier than this? 'cause i can't think of anything.
******
what's the scariest thing you've ever done?
28 October 2008
question of the week:
Posted by
Emily
at
12:01 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




16 comments:
Going to Africa a mere one month after 9/11. The Ghanain government had sent out a report saying the no Americans would be protected in any way under their law. And I went anyway.
Was I CRAZY?!!!
Repelling off a 150-200 foot bridge in the dark was so scary to me! I didn't think it would be scary because I loved stuff like that but it was scary. I totally pressured my friends into doing it too. Bad me.
I used to love thrill rides and things like that but now I don't see a lot of sense in it. I now value my life.
Oh and Emily Ahern... yes, you were crazy! I would have probably done that too though. I am glad you were safe. We went to Fiji when American's were warned not to go too. It actually ended up being AMAZING. We got so many things to ourselves that would have normally been crowded. I felt so bad for the people that lived there. They depend on the money from tourism and it just wasn't coming in.
going on a mission
I'm still laughing at your face in that picture. (Laughing with you, of course!) You look TERRIFIED! Why would you do that twice?! Reading this made me realize that I need to live a little more. I would love to bungee jump and go on that ride. I don't mind things like that but I'm a total wimp for scary stuff like haunted houses. I went to "The Haunted Forrest" in high school and I think my whole body cramped up by the time we got out because I was so tense the entire time.
I am with J Fo, I don't do a whole lotta scary. Maybe that's why I asked the question because I need to live vicariously through others exciting lives. Maybe the most scary thing I've done is have 4 kids that I am responsible for. My grocery bill sure can be scary. I was in a car crash once and that was really scary. I saw it happening and couldn't do anything to stop it. I still have a hard time going through traffic lights.
Jon and I went on the Big Shot in Vegas right before he proposed at the Venetian on the gondolas. So scary!
So I've been thinking about this ALL morning and it is really driving me crazy. But I'm going to say, moving to Denver was the scariest thing I've done. Because I truly had no idea what I was doing. Everything happened SO fast, that I coudn't really think about it.
swimming with sharks! oh wait, i've never done that...yet.
I am with Ellen... a mission. I took the don't ask don't tell approach to 90% of the food I was feed.
let's see the scariest thing...to others it would probably be sky diving but's it's not as scary as you think! getting yourself out of the plan is by far the hardest part but the free fall is like any other ride. For me, swimming with sting rays in the grand cayman. i have an issue with sea creatures...they are freaky!!!!!!!!
The Tower of Terror at California Adventures was horrifing. I dug my nails into Tylers inner thighs. Ouch! It was fun though.
we didn't ride that tori. is it like the big shot, only haunted house-ish?
Scariest thing i've done? I almost fell 1500 feet off a cliff when I went hiking with a friend at zion's national park. It was the last mile or so to get to the top and you have to sort of climb up the rest of the way. Well, i was actually on my way down, and somehow lost the trail and ended up taking the wrong way which took me on a 1/2 inch path that went on the outside. needless to say I almost slipped, and I won't lie looking down was the scariest thing I've ever looked at considering I had almost fallen. So, that's one of the scariest moments of my life. I have a ton more...
Moving from Albuquerque to Virginia to be with my fiance. Things worked out marvelously, and our move from Virginia to Wisconsin wasn't scary at all, but I'd lived in the same house in Alb. my whole life until Virginia.
it is alot like big shot
Post a Comment